Interesting point for future SR Releases?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jonatan Åcerclinth, Oct 25, 2013.

1. Jonatan Åcerclinth Licensed Driver

Hi guys.

A friend of mine sent me this video-link and asked me to have a look and see what I think of what is being said, by him, in the video itself.

I think it is an interesting point that, maybe, should at least be available for use in future sims.

What are your opinions/thoughts about this?
  2. Andy Breedon SRP Manager

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. Dino Paolini Licensed Driver

Was there something about diving aids? I only heard the topic about the hardcore-mode thing, with no quick-escape and the session beeing over after a crash + downtime for repair and everything.

I read about nkPro having that in the past and noone used it afaik
  4. Andy Breedon SRP Manager

Wouldn't be very "hardcore-mode" with drivings aids, i think you can force that in most games to a degree but not in a full simulated way.
  5. Dino Paolini Licensed Driver

Now I know even less what you mean :confused:
  6. Andy Breedon SRP Manager

It's ok, i think you just got what i said a bit wrong, what i am saying is that for his views to work properly the aids would need to be that of the real cars functions, so if there is noabs on the car driven then why should any one be using them if the idea is to simulate. :)
  7. Dino Paolini Licensed Driver

That's exactly what I understood at first, before you made it confusing :D

And I agree with you :) Atleast if the aids like TC or ABS are simulated for that particular car and is not just the generic option that you can enable or disable in every game already.
    I suppose this is exactly what you meant anyway.
  8. Andy Breedon SRP Manager

Yes. :)

But if a car has no aids then none should be available, forced cockpit and manual gears (force clutch to recognise a pedal maybe?), the whole 9 yards.
  9. Dino Paolini Licensed Driver

This would leave me out of it, as I detest manual clutching, even on real cars :D The rest would be fine though :p
  10. Kevin Vaassen SRP Moderator

On driving aids: no clutch: think of the poor students (or other poorer people) with just 2 pedals (or anyone without money for a 3 pedal set). I think it is also nice to have a proper clutch option (you have to use it to change gear), rather than the cheap thing we have now. About removing all driving aids: think about those lads exploring the simracing world and have no wheel, good luck trying a gt car (pick for example the Saleen :p) with arrows. Servers can set this driving aids, that should leave those drivers out of online races (because please don’t drive with arrows online :p), but removing driving aids would create a bigger bridge between arcade and simracing.

On escaping out: I understand and agree on the point, except for practice. Irl, people are more dedicated (they spend a whole weekend to race (/gathering sponsors)) so they have some sort of lot of time to fix stuff between practices, and more track days to practice. I like a feature like only being allowed to press escape when in pits (in qualy and race that is), because it looks so stupid (as said in the video) seeing a car disappearing (note that when you crash the car into pieces, you go automatically to the menu).

And he should turn the race sound down.
  11. Hampus Andersson Licensed Driver

The escape feature could work on leagues running practice-quali-race on the same day.
    So during the week you practice off line, do whatever you want, crash as much as you like.
    On race day if you crash in practice online, you won´t be able to enter your car based on the amount of damage your car has taken.
    So if you go off and brush the wall and damage some bodywork, get back to pits and wait 2-3 minutes.
    If you total the car you risk not being able to even set a quali-time. Car needs to be towed and then 15-20 minutes of work needs to be done on the car before you can go out again.

I´d love to see something like this in AC. You´d think twice before taking that tricky area flat in qualifying ;)
  12. Tobias Tannreuther Licensed Driver

:eek::eek::eek::eek: :D

Hm... isn't this a good thing for us Simracers?
    If the bridge is too small you get games like F1 2010-F1 2013. They are not aracade-style enough, because they are too difficult to drive them with keyboard, but they are also a really crappy "simulation".

Overall i totally agree with his point of the "escape" feature, to leave such a feature out of the games.
    I think it would create even very interesting training-sessions if you always have to take care of your car, but still having to test also for Qualifying.
    The "ESC"-function to leave the car and go back to the menu, should only be available in the pits (or if the car is crashed)

BUT there is and will be a big problem:
    you can't forbid the simracers to make their own training sessions offline. I bet, sadly, there will be enough drivers who will practise exclusively offline to test flat-out all the time and just joining on the online-servers for the qualifying session

For me in person: i'd love to have a real simulation, without this escape-feature, and totally without driving aids in the cars, which don't have them in real life.
    Maybe the producers even have more time to simulate a car like it behaves in reality... instead of working on a good feeling with driving aids.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  13. Kevin Vaassen SRP Moderator

Well there is a reason you need an A license in iRacing for Formula 1 (you need that right?), a formula 1 should be difficult to drive, while there are also easier cars for beginners (I'm not into iRacing, but it worked something like that right?). Stuff like ABS is great if you got no pedals (so you can either brake fully or not, inbetween is extremely hard) which is another bridge to cross than you mention with those EA games (which I also don't want).
  14. Dino Paolini Licensed Driver

I think the more hardcore approach with no esc-feature and no additional driving aids thing could be even better for beginners when it comes to sucesfully participating in official race-sessions, as that would encourage to learn sim-racing from the bottom up, beeing more cautious than anything else and not overly agressive like you see it a lot of times.

On the other hand, the thing with no offline-practice would be overkill in my opinion. You would even make it harder for the simmers than for the rl-drivers, which have engineers and actually simulators (and sometimes test-drives) to help train themselves in beforehand. Not to forget that they are actually doing that full-time for a living :D
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List