[Jul 1, 2015] BMW E90 WTCC 06-08 (Thruxton)

Discussion in 'rFactor 2 - Events' started by Andy Bonar, Jun 9, 2015.

BMW E90 WTCC 06-08
Thruxton
Start Date: Jul 1, 2015 06:00 PM
End Date: Jul 1, 2015 08:00 PM
Time zone: Europe/London +01:00 BST
  1. Andy Bonar Licensed Driver

bmw.png

Date: Wednesday 1st July
    Server Name: SimRacingPro.com BMW
    Track: Thruxton
    Class: BMW E90 WTCC 06-08
    vmod: SRP_BMW@Thruxton (in case you can't get it when you join the server)
    Game: rFactor 2 Build 946

All Assists off, except:
    Auto Clutch: Allowed

[IMG]

Practice: 18:00 GMT (60 mins)
    Qualifying: 19:00 GMT (15 mins)
    Warm Up: 19:15 GMT (5 mins)
    Race 1: 19:20 GMT 19 laps
    Warm Up: 5 mins
    Race 2: Top 10 reverse grid 19 laps
    Start: Standing Start
    Weather: Warm and Sunny

Additional information regarding track conditions:
    The practice server will be set with a "race" level of rubber pre-laid on track.

On race day, the official practice session will start in green conditions, and will continue naturally through to qualifying. The amount of rubber on track for qualifying will therefore be dictated by the number of drivers laying down rubber during the official practice session, so we recommend joining the server as early as possible and running plenty of laps during official practice.

For each race, the rubber will be set to that used for the practice server.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Driver Conduct
    • No chat is permitted in race or qualifying, arguments can be settled after the race. If you want to communicate you can use TeamSpeak.
    • Race with common sense in all the sessions (practice, qualifying, warm-up and race). Don't hold up or block other drivers unnecessarily during pre-race sessions.
    • Respect the in-game rules; all flags should be respected, and followed.
    • After the race has begun, be very cautious entering Turn 1. This is the hardest part of the race and improper conduct may not only ruin your own race, but someone else's as well.
    • Keep two wheels on the track at all times. Kerbs are a part of the track. *
    • Cutting rules are the simulator cutting rules. When you receive a cut warning it means you are exceeding the track limits and potentially gaining advantage, which is unacceptable.
    • If you go off the track, slow down and rejoin with extreme caution.
    • Pressing ESC is allowed (unless indicated otherwise in league-specific rules), but NEVER press ESC when it could affect another driver's progress - even after a spin or a crash. In some situations, it is better to press ESC to avoid causing more damage, but usually you should bring the car to a stop in a safe place before you press ESC.
    • When someone is trying to overtake you on a straight, you are allowed to change lines only once. Swerving causes dangerous situations, and often results in crashes.
    • If a driver is on the inside and has overtaken you in the corner: give him room, follow him, be faster than him, and overtake him in a clean move. Deliberate contact will not be tolerated, and will be punished accordingly. Race fairly.
    * see Cutting rules explained for a detailed description of what is and what is not allowed.
    ____________________________________________________________________________________________

How can you join the fun?
    The event is open to everyone, provided you are a registered and licensed member:
    Register Here & apply for a Racing Licence Here.
    Show up & enjoy the races!

Rules & Regulations
    Passwords
  2. Andy Bonar Licensed Driver

Entry List
    1. Andy Bonar
    2. Tony Matthews
    3. Stacy Newcomb
    4. Rob Hermans
    5. Roger Prikken
    6. Marius Neverauskas
    Reserves
    Niranjan Kumar
  3. Andy Bonar Licensed Driver

4. Tony Matthews Licensed Driver

sign me in Andy
  5. Stacy Newcomb Licensed Driver

And me please.
  6. Rob Hermans SRP Manager

The thread date says 1st July...Oulton Park is on 24th, right?

I won't be signing up for this one, not after what happened in the MX5s and the Civics. Yes, it was a rare occurrence, and at the time I thought it was a car-related issue, but I've since become convinced that it's the track that's bugged. Find a version of this track which doesn't have bugged kerbs and I'll consider it! :D
  7. Andy Bonar Licensed Driver

Sorry...yes 1st July.

As for the track...I dont know of any other version, but all I do know is there were 25/26 racers the other night in the latest clios and I dont recall seeing anyone hit the invisible wall o_O
  8. Rob Hermans SRP Manager

No worries. :cool:

Indeed, as I said: it's a rare occurrence, but not seeing anyone suffering a DNF means nothing...you definitely know about it when it happens to you! Having nearly lost a championship to it, I'd rather avoid it altogether than risk getting caught up, sorry.
  9. Stacy Newcomb Licensed Driver

Back to the RWD nightmare, these are to be realistic not hard to drive compared to most, just struggle to set these up at all, nothing I try makes them any more stable over the kerbs, and as we all know if you cant ride the kerbs at Thruxton you lose seconds.

How Andreas got his 190E to run the chicane with hardly a bounce is beyond me, I gave up after way less attempts than I tried on other combinations....
  10. Rob Hermans SRP Manager

Nightmare? Only a little! :p I agree it's not easy to feel what's happening compared to some other cars in rF2, and I was quite a lot slower than Bonar and Prikken at the last event with my default setup.

The worst thing is the huge kick from the transmission when you shift down gears while turning - I haven't found an effective cure other than blipping and using a lot less engine braking. It's otherwise very stable though, and it's easy to control slides even with the default settings.
    Kerbs are another story however, and like Dolly Parton, this version of Thruxton has MASSIVE ones. I try to use only about half the kerb's width so that the car remains relatively stable. When you get the line wrong though, it sometimes better to try to go straight over the highest part...but that risks running into the invisible wall...which I haven't managed to find yet in nearly 40 laps! Perhaps I'll be signing up after all. :)

I used this setup, which has only a few minor changes from the default:

www.dropbox.com/s/5tionlvlirlm64k/Rob_BMWE90_R.svm

EDIT: no idea why you're comparing James Skinner's AC Thruxton to this one though, it's nowhere near the same when it comes to the kerbs!? :confused:
  11. Stacy Newcomb Licensed Driver

Not comparing really, just expecting too much in the way of consistency from sim to sim, I guess the Rf kerbs are bigger and it would be impossible to take the same line as Andreas's Merc on these.

Thanks for the setup... off to give it a run.
  12. Rob Hermans SRP Manager

The size of the kerbs varies from track to track. rFactor's kerbs are not bigger than AC's kerbs; they are 3D objects created by the track's author. Of course there are some objects which are standardised (usually referred to as "assets"), but if you want a unique thing like those monster kerbs on this track, you have to make them yourself.

Depending on the car, you can be pretty aggressive, even over these mountainous kerbs. Just look at what some drivers were doing the Honda Civics. :rolleyes:

Don't mention it bud, hope it's useful to you. Try to catch Andy Bonar or Tony Matthews on the server, this is one of their favourite tracks and I bet they have a decent setup too :)
  13. Stacy Newcomb Licensed Driver

Dont have a lot of time but just a quick run showed a big improvement, cheers again.

Completely beaches over mid section of chicane even if you max out the ride height, pretty unrealistic when you watch the BTCC boys straight line the thing.
  14. Rob Hermans SRP Manager

Good, glad to have been able to help :)

Indeed, but then these kerbs are nothing like the ↓ real kerbs ↓ are they? James's AC track is WAY better, imo.

[IMG]
  15. Andy Bonar Licensed Driver

Hopefully Ill get some practice in tonight...yep. love this track :)
  16. Stacy Newcomb Licensed Driver

Just a thought Rob, shoot me down in flames if you must, But ........

Do you know for a fact there are invisible objects that caused the problems that were seen in the Miata series,?
    Or is it possible that the coming to a complete halt and subsequent damage, is caused by the chassis bottoming out, and the reason this is such an inconsistent occurrence is, that this only happens under compression. ?

I have bottomed out on the chicane a couple of times, with horrific effect and it does feel like I've hit an immovable object, but replay clearly show the underside hitting the kerbs, and no damage shows to the bodywork.
  17. Rob Hermans SRP Manager

Funny you mention that Stacy, because bottoming out (or suspension parts getting caught up) was my thinking at the time of the MX5 and Civic events, and I thought it was car related rather than track. It was Chris Shepherd with whom I was having the argument, and I suppose I just gave in because it was like banging my head against a brick wall.
    I'm still not convinced it's one or the other though, because raising the ride height doesn't make the problem go away in every car. Therefore I would probably still recommend against using this version of the track in a league.
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  18. Stacy Newcomb Licensed Driver

Agreed.

Inconsistency = Bad !
  19. Roger Prikken Licensed Driver

20. Marius Neverauskas Licensed Driver