rFactor Single Events - Discussion, Ideas, Feedback

Discussion in 'rFactor 1' started by Bradley Vanian, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Bradley Vanian Licensed Driver

Hello SRP, myself and Jonatan Åcerclinth are currently planning some rFactor Single Events and we were wondering if anyone has some ideas for tracks, cars, events or anything else. We also want feedback on our events on how we could improve single events or you can discuss anything about the rFactor Single Events here.

First off, what type of events do you want? Touring Cars? GT's? A range of different events?
    Any particular cars and tracks you want to see used?
    Do you want a particular event format? 1 feature race? 2 sprint races?
  2. Jim Cole Licensed Driver

Group C at Daytona 2.4 hours ;) Road course not oval.
  3. Andy Breedon SRP Manager

Hear there is a kart mod that would be interesting, race formats shouldnt be too long with single events imo, special events are mostly longer races with a twist.

Open wheelers in rf are better than simbin for me too so that could be nice to see.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. Rob Hermans SRP Manager

Imo there are plenty of Touring car and GT class events using Simbin at the moment. There's not enough interest in the IFM series at the moment, despite the creation of a very good mod which puts the original in the shade. I'd like to see some open wheel races using rFactor, I'm sure there will be more interest if it's promoted well.
    If you DO decide to run some touring car races, I'd like to see more of the single class type of events. I never had more fun than racing the 207's week after week, for example.
    Andy's idea of starting small is a good idea, and I agree with this opinion regarding race formats. Perhaps the first 'test' events should be with a car/track combination which worked well in the past (at RD, for example).
    Personally, I'd like to see some of the historic F1 mods, GP '79 or '71 (because they are a real challenge), combined with visiting historic versions of modernised or mothballed tracks would be appealing to me.
  5. Bradley Vanian Licensed Driver

Mid Ohio, that was a good race, except when you punted me off in Qualy :p
  6. Rob Hermans SRP Manager

Haha! You're never going to let me forget that one, are you? Well, here's something I won't let you forget: remember it was my setup that allowed you to win! :D (You knew that was coming!)
    You're right though, I was thinking about that very race, among others. :)
  7. Guy Moulton Licensed Driver

The advantages rF1 has over GTRE are 1) driver swaps and 2) sheer volume of modded content. If we are going to do rF1 why not do something that is unique to rF1- otherwise GTRE would be better. What's a mod or format of race that is unique to rF1?

-oval racing (let's be honest- GTRE oval racing is not very good!)
    -driver swaps (so if we do a GT series, let's do it FIA GT1 style and do a swap halfway through the race)
    -rallycross (rF1 dirt isn't great but it's doable)
    -dirt oval racing
    -CORR

So what can rF1 provide that would convince anyone to install it again?
  8. Aaron Channer Licensed Driver

BMW 1 series mod.
    Had some epic races on rF1 with this mod.
  9. Guy Moulton Licensed Driver

again, why would anyone want to race this on rf1 instead of a sim SRP already runs?
  10. Kevin Vaassen SRP Moderator

because not everybody has race07? Yes this site is mainly race07, but I won't mind if people from other places join the rfactor series (I heard of people (know barely of them as SRP is the only place I talk with other racers)). And take a look at it this way, with rfactor 2 and AC coming up, people most likely will switch (when finished), bigger base means more people there (hopefully). I wouldn't see a problem with more people joining racing here (except we need more staff if it gets really big, but Bradly en Jonathan are already starting it (which almost convinces me to buy it, but money =( (btw also the reason why I won't be joining here most likely)))

Now despite the fact that I won't be racing, I would suggest running single class for single events. Think of it this way: the cars are simply rarely balanced based on one track (with a good multicar mod), so people will be switching cars all the time (except those very (and I mean, really very) rare drivers that are just like I love that brand/looks so I drive that) and you turn out with a one car race with a few other driving around for fun (yes this is VERY generalized, but you get the idea). But then, why, why should the BMW be mentioned first -.-
  11. April Dillon Licensed Driver

I agree with Guy here. Anything we want to do with rFactor shouldn't be competing with anything we're doing with R07. So what we really want to do is pick different car classes and race formats.

We could have a blast on some dirt tracks with the Subaru Imprezza or trophy trucks, for example. Can't do that in R07/GSC. Hotlap competition at Pikes Peak, night races purely for the spectacle, stuff like that. I'm not sure how much interest there is in these sorts of things. I'm just assuming the best way forward with rFactor is to capitalize on the things it does that others don't.
  12. Andy Reed Licensed Driver

i understand that not having the same mods running, but you also have to remember that due to it being a different game the cars feel and react different too. plus rF has night racing so that can be used to mix things up..

I am willing to give any mod a try on any track as long as i am able to race due to other commitments
  13. Andy Reed Licensed Driver

Here is a good mod that has been converted from Race 07 to rF by Evo Monkey

BSTC
  14. Jonatan Åcerclinth Licensed Driver

We will have another Caterham race on Monday next week. Event thread to come as soon as the Mod (full one this time) and the track that we will use has been uploaded :)

After that we will most likely have some 207 S2000 RallyCross fun ;)
  15. Bradley Vanian Licensed Driver

and some Historic F1 inbetween ;)
  16. David Grönvalls Licensed Driver

I would be interested in some more pre-season events for the GT Championship, and not just the one planned.
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  17. Jonatan Åcerclinth Licensed Driver

We have done some discussion and will hold 2 more GT2 event before the Pre-Season event. First one will be this coming Monday.

We will try to mix GT2 and other series a little and see how it works out :)