RND 1 - Ginetta G55 @ Donington National [April 7th to April 12th]

Discussion in 'AC HLC Season 1 (finished)' started by Shaun Clarke, Apr 5, 2015.

1. Shaun Clarke Licensed Driver

Oh nice find Stacy.....let me know and I will add to the instructions
  2. Stacy Newcomb Licensed Driver

I can confirm that works, splits now showing.:cool:
  3. Shaun Clarke Licensed Driver

Oh Cool, thanks for that test...I will post on the pTracker post.
  4. Rob Wilson Licensed Driver

Hi All, I'm new to here (and to being competitive in general), but I have been around sim racing for many years. Shaun forced me to join !!

Anyway, I've just thrown down a few laps around Donington, mucked about with setup and then spotted the way to get the times is to - ahem - be creative with some lines. Now no way IRL would these lines be driven, and I don't want to upset everyone by turning up and doing something silly. So please tell me what your thoughts are on corner cutting. I know there is a verification, but it lets stuff through.

Thanks everybody :)
    and hello (waves frantically)

Rob Wilson
  5. Rob Wilson Licensed Driver

PS - racer name KOB_CHEESE, which was funny when I was 18, but now seems more like a burden that I'm 42 !! Daren't change it though after all these years.
  6. Kris Vickers Licensed Driver

Ah so that was you Rob, i did wonder.

Tried some more laps last night and couldn`t get anywhere near my old time. Think i borked my setup :confused:
  7. Shaun Clarke Licensed Driver

Can you let me know where it lets stuff through, as I thought Donny was pretty locked down on things like that?
  8. Rob Hermans SRP Manager

Cutting rules are made clear in Shaun's intro post:
    but I understand your concerns. Like Shaun, I too would like to know where exactly on this track AC is not detecting cuts, though? Furthermore, the rules we use for league racing may be different from what you're used to; see THIS POST for a detailed explanation.
    That ok for you now, mate? NEXT! [IMG][IMG]

leaderboard.png
    No, it didn't take me 2 days to shave 3 thousandths off, I just asked Shaun to remove my previous time and then did a valid lap after I'd worked out how to use pTracker. :)

Btw, there are usually lots of Andys on SRP, but recently it seems the Robs are taking over, so from now on I shall be referring to anyone whose first name is Rob by their surname to avoid confusion, if that's ok with you...Taplin and Wilson? :D
    (and I won't be offended if I'm referred to by my surname, of course.)
  9. Shaun Clarke Licensed Driver

Just as long they spell it correctly...this could become amusing ;):D
  10. Neil Rocks Licensed Driver

Found time for a few laps today - I'll never be the 'king of hotlaps' but I do have some goals: mainly, to be at least within 2 seconds of P1, and aside from that, to match or beat Mr Newcomb :)

There's another 5-6 tenths left for me in this combo, probably more with some setup fiddling, but I got frustrated and quit without stringing together a perfect lap. I think I agree with whoever said it should be fixed setup for these sorts of events as well.
  11. Rob Wilson Licensed Driver

Wilson here - the exploit is what Taplin said !!
    ie. it's the final chicane you can exploit. And from your rules it seems to be allowed at least in words
    (spoil a lap by straight lining the chicane then do a clean one for the enhanced time).

I've got ptracker, but am possibly not using it right yet !! Only just downloaded the Gnietta so one step at a time :)
    Cheers,
    Rob
  12. Shaun Clarke Licensed Driver

Hi Wilson:D

Arr I see. Not a lot I can do about that, except look at bringing back where the games automatically slows you down for 5 secs, but I think Kunos disabled that option, and replaced it with the Corner Cut and Invalid Lap message.
  13. Rob Wilson Licensed Driver

Thats OK Shaun - we all have a level playing field at the end of the day, its not like only one person can do it. I just didn't want to start my foray into a team environment by exploting a cheat - Haha !
    I'm still too slow anyway :)
    Rob
  14. Rob Hermans SRP Manager

That would make it more of a level playing field, but far less enjoyable, imo...let me explain why I think that. A fixed setup is good for two things: 1) giving everyone the same problems to deal with, and 2) taking the fun out of it. Ok, maybe a bit extreme, but if a fixed setup system was in place, I wouldn't sign up because if the setup makes it no fun to drive, I won't drive!
    Besides, who will make this setup? Wouldn't it give them an advantage? Even a default setup would suit some drivers more than others, and that takes the fun out of trying to do your fastest lap, imo.
    Finally, maybe you think no one would share their setup for this sort of competition, but it wouldn't hurt to ask, right?

@Mr.Wilson: you're right, it is the same for everyone, but I hope you're not assuming that the fastest times are being set by "exploiting" the rules? I can provide video evidence that my best lap was set without cheating, if necessary?
  15. Rob Wilson Licensed Driver

Oh no I'm not finger pointing by any means!
    I'm just saying I was seriously cutting the chicane on an unrealistic line to get my times.
    Being new I didn't want to be perceived as a cheat so thought I'd better check if it was ok or not with the participants :)
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  16. Rob Hermans SRP Manager

It's not ok to set your best times by that method, of course. However, there's no way the organisers can check it, is there? I wonder if it can be set up so that the NEXT lap is invalid if you cut the track within a certain distance before the start/finish line?
  17. Stacy Newcomb Licensed Driver

I am in total agreement with Both you .... and Neil, Rob.

I understand there are more ways than one of looking at the situation regarding the use fixed and non fixed setups, I also have to say as a shortish time member of SRP, I have had setups offered by team mates and competitors alike with the simplest of begging letters, being very fruitful, (special thanks to Roger and Rob H). :cool:

As for the cutting the Chicane, before starting a lap ..... Wrong ! just plain wrong. :mad:
    (Tested it and there is 7 tenths easily, so I did not finish the lap).
  18. Rob Hermans SRP Manager

Very honourable of you Stacy, and knowing you as I do, I wouldn't expect anything less. :)

Of course, having access to someone else's setup may help you, or it may not suit your driving...I've lost count of the number of times someone has said to me: "try this, I think it's faster", only to find it either doesn't suit the way I drive, or it's completely undriveable (way too edgy, for example), and I'm slower than with my own setup. What does help me is to have a way to compare what I do with the car in particular corners with what another driver does, and figure out if it's their driving skills or the way in which their car behaves that makes them faster. Most of the time, I learn a lot more by watching someone else's driving than by using their setup.

There is still no way to ride on board with someone in AC, is there? I think it would benefit a lot of drivers if we could hop on board with one of the faster guys and watch them do some laps. Better still, have them talk about their approach while they're driving. :) I do this a lot in rF2, and encourage others to ride with me, if they want. Guaranteed learn every time! :D
  19. Kris Vickers Licensed Driver

Yes, there is.

On the screen to adjust setup and start the race, if you go to the chat section, click on a name, you are magically transported through the medium of science to their being.

Then you click on the chat thing again to get it off screen and Tadah, you`re onboard ;)
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. Eric Stranne Licensed Driver

I don't understand why my sector times don't show up on the results page. Would that make my lap invalid? I followed the instructions posted about how to make them show up, but it seems I must have missed something?