RND 3 - McLaren F1 GTR @ Monza [April 21st to April 26th]

Discussion in 'AC HLC Season 1 (finished)' started by Shaun Clarke, Apr 6, 2015.

1. Kris Vickers Licensed Driver

Shaun - Can you check you have cut detection on?

I`ve been off track a few times, even cut the first chicane on my outlap and it never warned me of invalid lap . . .
  2. Rob Hermans SRP Manager

I was getting cut detection messages when I was on the server last night. I'm about to go and have my final session of this week (going away till Monday), so I'll report back if it's not detecting atm.
  3. Shaun Clarke Licensed Driver

I too have had cut detection, offline and online...this is Official content, so it should be there?
  4. Kris Vickers Licensed Driver

Yeah, sorry. The first bloody lap i did after posting this, i touched the grass on the outside of the first corner and up the warning came.

God, this car is so infuriating. Everything is going well, I`m some tenths ahead of my PB and then the back end decides it wants to be at the front and bang, fast lap attempt over!
  5. James Skinner Licensed Driver

Glad it's not just me who's struggling with this car! I keep telling myself it's good practice, but for what exactly...?!

Edit - my relationship with this car has now gone from mild amusement at it's difficult nature to full blown hatred... It's like trying to tame a particularly unhelpful wild horse with an attitude problem, every time I try and slow down to get the hang of it it just wills me to put my foot down again! :eek:
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. Rob Hermans SRP Manager

Well, there's good news and there's bad news:

The bad news is that my flight this morning was delayed, and I'll be leaving tomorrow instead:
    [IMG]

...the good news is that I won't miss the 50th birthday party. :)

The good news is that it gives me another 24h to improve my time...
    the bad news is that it took me 30 laps to improve by just 0.151s in the wee hours this morning!

The bad news is that atm I have an advantage of more than 0.8s over P2 and of more than 1s over the rest of the field...
    the good news is that I'm going to share my setup again:

www.dropbox.com/s/g1m41tqz4u5vjom/RH_McLarenF1_GTR.ini

Once again, I don't expect to keep my position: I found it harder to be consistent with this combo; the car is quite difficult to drive, so putting together 3 best sectors in one lap is more difficult than in the previous 2 rounds. The ultimate fastest time will be a low 1m49s, maybe breaking into the 1m48s... assuming those aliens in front can do those 3 good sectors. [IMG]

:D:cool:
    (thanks to Kris Vickers for confirming my brake bias setting was good)
    (and I don't care if I'm shooting myself in both knees again, Andreas!)
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  7. Kris Vickers Licensed Driver

You got this in the bag I think fellow . . . .

But I will be trying your setup, no doubt! :)
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  8. Rob Hermans SRP Manager

Fat lady? @Singing? Not yet, no. :p But thanks for the vote of confidence.

To be fair, you don't know Eric and Andreas as well as I do; they both have prodigious speed, and a lot of experience in different classes to go with it. They're both very unfamiliar with AC as yet, and I predict it will be more and more difficult to match them, never mind be faster on every combo.
    Having said that, hopefully my commitment will pay off and they won't have the time to do as many laps as I've done so far. But seriously, I wouldn't bet on it. It's dangerous to be confident: "only a fool is confident", as Toto Wolff is fond of saying...but even being "cautiously optimistic" would be counting chickens, so to speak. ;)
  9. Niranjan Kumar Licensed Driver

i was just about to give up on this ...and you have sent me a life line ... I will try it out Rob ... and happy birthday in advance
  10. Rob Wilson Licensed Driver

I love this car <-- there I've said it!! I also don't care if I am slow - I'm having a blast driving this beast :)
    It's a bit thirsty though, and flatspots seem to migrate to my tyres.

Thanks again for sharing the setup RobH. I hardly find time for laps, never mind setting up the car.
    RobW
  11. Niranjan Kumar Licensed Driver

yup just tried the setup Rob...feels good, much more stable ..my grand plan of going to a ultra low downforce setup didn't work.....
  12. James Skinner Licensed Driver

Thanks for the setup once again Rob - going to have to try it out. I must admit this car is pretty thrilling when you hook up a decent lap, it's just the swapping ends in between that's frustrating!
  13. Rob Hermans SRP Manager

You're all very welcome. :) It's by best mate's 50th...mine is still 89 days away, I'll have you know...not counting, not counting! :p

Indeed, it would seem to be natural to go as skinny as possible to reduce drag as much as possible, but that only works if you have enough mechanical grip to make up for the reduced aero grip, but even with the soft tyres, it's very easy to lose the rear once it starts sliding. It's fine in flat-out turns like Curva Grande, and in the slow-speed chicanes (where the aero has less effect), but not the best thing in faster corners like the Ascari chicane and Parabolica.
  14. Neil Rocks Licensed Driver

I... kind of like the car. Admittedly, I'm not trying to heel & toe it around like a lot of people (no clutch pedal), but I haven't enabled any of the relevant aids yet and I'm finding it quite fun. Not easy, but fun. Also - it's not just us :)
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  15. Dean Snell Licensed Driver

Rob: Thanks for sharing the setup will try it later to see if can improve on the 1:53 ;)
    Neil: Great vid makes me feel alot better about spinning it.
  16. Rob Hermans SRP Manager

Thhhhhp...(sharp intake of breath) :eek: OMG these cars sell for millions, I bet that was a heart-in-mouth moment!

FYI: you don't need to use the clutch, heel-and-toe will take some time to master...what is necessary is to match the revs as you shift down gears under braking; a.k.a. "blip". Learn to give a blast of about 50% throttle every time you change gear. This will avoid the bogging down you can hear if you don't blip, and will make those heavy braking events much easier to manage.

This technique helps to balance the longitudinal forces resulting when braking: weight transfers forwards, a blip of throttle helps to balance that a bit. Most useful in RWD cars, but every racing car will benefit from this balancing to some extent.
    I am 100% convinced that this is what made the biggest difference in my performance improvement over the last 3 years (since I joined SRP), and I thank Dariusz Swiderski for teaching it to me. :cool:
  17. Stacy Newcomb Licensed Driver

Hate this ..... no feeling no brakes , no fun.
  18. Shaun Clarke Licensed Driver

Thanks for the setup Rob, but unless I install rails around this track, I won't be anywhere near your time, but never expected to "Mr Alien". LOL
  19. Eric Stranne Licensed Driver

Thanks for the setup (again) Rob, definitely deserves the "Nicest SRP guy around" award :p Can't get anywhere close to that middle sector of yours, and I won't be home again until late Sunday evening, so that time will do for me :)
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. Rob Hermans SRP Manager

Cheers Eric, but you know I'm not just being nice to make myself feel good. I've experienced what it's like to be part of a real community, and we have it in spades here. This is my way of giving back some of what I've gained. I really mean that; I was literally Mr. Average when I first found SRP, and without the generosity of the other members I would still be at the same level.

Karma, anyone? :cool::D