RND 6 - Alfa GTA @ Brands Hatch Indy [12th May to 17th May]

Discussion in 'AC HLC Season 1 (finished)' started by Shaun Clarke, Apr 6, 2015.

1. Shaun Clarke Licensed Driver

This thread is for info only, and will contain the results and leagues. If you have any problems, also post here or PM me
  2. Shaun Clarke Licensed Driver

Hi All,

First all, please make sure you do an offline lap in the same car at the same track with pTracker enabled .

If you didn't participate in the previous HLC @ Brands Hatch (as the download contained both versions) you can download Brands Hatch GP and Brands Hatch Indy Here

Address = ftp://managerdc2.rackservice.org/
    Username = shaunftp
    No Password
  3. Niranjan Kumar Licensed Driver

if you guys think last weeks times were close , just wait and watch this one !!!.... we are all probably going to be separated by mere thousands of a second on a short track like this !!.... good luck ;)
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. Shaun Clarke Licensed Driver

Niranjan..it will come down to who has the boat that floats the most :D
  5. Rob Hermans SRP Manager

[IMG]

Shaun's Monday night testing is off to a flying floating start.
  6. Shaun Clarke Licensed Driver

Server is up and running chaps, but remember, no times will count before 12th May :D
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  7. Niranjan Kumar Licensed Driver

initial tests show that there is lot of floating about ..... but for me it feels better than the BMW .....
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  8. Shaun Clarke Licensed Driver

You have to be kidding me Niranjan. I am getting motion sickness, and I don't have a motion simulator.....

Bob Bob Bobbing along HA HA
  9. Kris Vickers Licensed Driver

Not a great car to drive, as it slops about like a barge.

BUT . . . . it's easy to get sideways, and that`s always fun.
  10. Niranjan Kumar Licensed Driver

yes it does bob , it does float .... but at least we know what it will be doing when we go into a corner, so we can adapt !! unlike the BMW which was random :p
  11. Rob Hermans SRP Manager

I had my first laps in the Alfa GTA last night, and it's a refreshing change. I do generally like historic cars, but they can be a handful when you're used to the more technologically advanced feel of modern racing cars. While you're pounding (punting?) around, you have to remember that the first version of this car was produced in 1962 and the GTA came along in 1965 ( :eek: the year of my birth), and this AC rendition of the car is faithful to that in the feel of the tyres, suspension, bodywork, etc.

[IMG]

You can hear the bodywork banging away on the bumps, experience the lack of stiffness in the suspension and lack of grip from the tyres. The one advantage this car had compared to its rivals of the time was that it was made to be very lightweight. It's small, both outer and inner body panels are made of lightweight aluminium, it had magnesium alloy wheels, clear plastic side windows, and lightweight interior trim, and other weight-saving features. (source: Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfa_Romeo_GTA)

We'll have to take some time to learn how to control the slides, which will require a well-balanced setup (I don't have that yet!), and I feel the top times will be set by those who can finesse this car around the Indy circuit just on the edge of adhesion...definitely more fun than the 235i, imo. :cool:
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  12. Dean Snell Licensed Driver

Wow someone who is older than me playing (1966). I was the Grandaddie in T7r But now it's you :p.

Yes the car is a bit of a handful. It reminds me of my first car a Yellow Ford Cortina MkIII it liked to slide too.

Done my first few laps this morning and a bit more practice and should break into the 59's at least ;).

Have Fun everyone.
  13. Rob Hermans SRP Manager

I'm not the oldest driver here, I think that honour belongs to Mr. Newcomb. ;)
    My mum's approaching 80, and she says: "Age is a matter of mind: if you don't mind, it doesn't matter." which I think is a great mantra. :)

Nice first car Dean, mine was one of these:

[IMG]

It didn't look like that after my sister and I had "learned to drive" in it:

[IMG]

:oops:
  14. Eric Stranne Licensed Driver

All my stereotypes of the 70's were just confirmed in that first picture right there Rob :D
  15. Rob Hermans SRP Manager

Yep, I chose that image because not only does it show the Peugeot 304 at a good angle, but the houses in the background? That's like the exact house we used to live in before we left Holland...and those people? They're like an exact copy of how my parents looked at that time...isn't nostalgia a wonderful thing?

Anyway, back to driving the Alfa. @Shaun: did you deliberately NOT pick a red one? Google "Alfa Romeo GTA" images and see what you get? Come on man, get with the program! :p
  16. Stacy Newcomb Licensed Driver

Yes I think that dubious honour does fall on my old bald head.
    And I agree with Mum, but will add, "Some days I mind more than others" :(
  17. Shaun Clarke Licensed Driver

As my 5yr nephew would tell you ( Red is Gooner colours, we don't like Gooners )

Google Gooners......I am a Tottenham Fan :D
  18. Rob Hermans SRP Manager

I fail to see the relevance of football to racing cars. Red is the traditional colour used for Italian racing cars since the time when countries raced for the glory of winning, before the F1 World Championship came into being. It's no biggie, I just think it would be nice to have a red Alfa because it's "right", you know? (and my video would look way better with a red one!)
  19. Niranjan Kumar Licensed Driver

Its nice to see the Elder Gents continuing their passion !!! :) .... I'm already beginning to feel absolutely ancient at 24 :eek:
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  20. Shaun Clarke Licensed Driver

Just looked at the lap times. Sorry I thought this was "lets reverse around the track", sorry my bad :D When I get home from this poxy hotel, I will put some "real" laps in

Get the RNLI at the ready PMSL