What Happens Next?

Discussion in 'Assetto Corsa' started by Shaun Clarke, Jun 24, 2015.

1. Shaun Clarke Licensed Driver

Hi All,

John has asked a question about what comes next, and instead of flooding the HLC Rn12 thread, I thought I would start one here, so you all know what we are doing, and to also post your ideas, as it is all you that make a Championship successful.

So to reply to @John Stingu:
    I hear ya trust me. There will not be anything starting next week, as I am currently away (again :rolleyes: ) and also away Monday and Tuesday next week, so won't have time to organise, let alone test anything.

We are "currently" thrashing out some ideas, but due to the amount of tracks that you can go outside of the racing line (even Kunos tracks) and some people know about it, some people don't, Kris has been testing on re-writing the surfaces.ini files, so we will actually have SRP Approved Tracks. This way, you won't have to change your original ones (so you can still just hop online and race if you wish) but these tracks will have the SRP Logo on them (in the Menu) so easy to find.

These "could" be all wrapped up in one download and published, so easy for everybody to download one file.

The Championship we was planning and some people help test, might change, because of the little GEM I found, it is just bloody fantastic. Oh if you haven't seen it yet, it's in the Downloads Section ;)

There is also the HLC 2 that could start again soon, but with the adding of all the ideas that people have mentioned, i.e Limited Laps on Live Server, a separate Practice Server, and a HLC Server (as we do have 2 to use), again, Idea's can be thrashed out, which again, I need all your help.

Hope your not to disappointed, but we have learnt a lot with HLC 1, and considering our first major event / series, it has been a success in my eyes, fantastic fun, great comradery amongst us all and funny banter.

So keep your eyes peeled on here and share your ideas

Thank you All
  2. Shaun Clarke Licensed Driver

I will just quickly fill in here, ideas.

We have been looking in to a 14-16 rnd Championship using the Tatuus, as this car is under used, and it was a round of the HLC that everybody seemed to enjoy. I have found the ISF3 Mod (scratch made) which is based on the F3, so slightly more powerful, but a bundle of fun to race with.

I wanted to steer away from the GT cars (over used) Nissan, Ginetta, again already used. The Vauxhall Cav is not ready yet, and the Seat Leon is good, but a little gutless ( althought that is how it is ment to be)

BMW 235i (Andreas is working on this) and I cannot see the point on racing road cars with road tyres :confused:

Due to issue's with AC (Pitstops are fiddly) and other issue's, maybe a HLC 2 might be in order, while we wait for the next version of AC to surface.

But the floor is all your guys.
  3. John Stingu Licensed Driver

Good news anyway.
  4. Neil Rocks Licensed Driver

I've enjoyed the HLC (some rounds more fun than others, but overall - enjoyable) however, all that practising with no race at the end of it was a little frustrating at times. Let's race! Don't get me wrong, if there's a HLC 2 then I'll join in, but I'm really waiting for the racing to start.

I'm no open wheel fan, but I do love the Formula Abarth (probably because it doesn't have enough power to embarrass me too often) - I'd actually be up for giving an open wheel thing a try. Very much looking forward to the 235i races, too. There are a ton of other cars in AC that could make for a good series, mod and not mod. For example, I know the Lotuses largely get ignored because there's "too many" of them, but the Exige V6 Cup is loads of fun.
  5. Shaun Clarke Licensed Driver

Thanks for that Neil. Defo a going point on the Lotus, just as long it's a "racing" car, not a normal road or track day car :D
  6. Shaun Clarke Licensed Driver

Looking around the forum, thus far I have read the following:

a) Some people like Open Wheelers
    b) Some people like closed wheelers (tin tops)
    c) One person wants the Nors, doesn't matter what car :D
    d) Everybody doesn't want the GT's
    e) Some want another HLC with revised rules
    f) Some want some racing
    g) EVERYBODY wants tracks where you can't cheat/cut, even if the track allows it

Thanks chaps, getting a good response, without some of you even knowing it :)
  7. Rob Taplin Licensed Driver

I like the GT's. Anyone know where i can find a series for them? :oops:
  8. Niranjan Kumar Licensed Driver

well im the guy who like open wheelers !!! ...but im too frustrated with hotlapping at the moment ....I need to be in a proper race to figure out how it would work out ...but in the HLC I could see the opponents cars were a bit "floaty" and moving about all over , if you know what I mean ... maybe it will be difficult to race wheel to wheel ?? ...im not sure
  9. Andy Bonar Licensed Driver

I have to be honest, my interest in hotlapping has waned throughout the season :confused:
    Like others have said, I want to be racing against others...i enjoy practicing, as long as there is a race at the end of it :)
  10. Shaun Clarke Licensed Driver

Thanks chaps for all your comments, and what I suspected is true, and I can only agree.

@Niranjan - This is another reason that I hold test sessions, to test out everybody's connection, just to see if we "all" can have the close, wheel to wheel, bumper to bumper, hip and shoulder racing we are all wanting.

SRP Can and will provide this :)
  11. John Stingu Licensed Driver

That also depends on each player's connection. For example I usually have a ping of less than 100, but once it was like 300.
  12. Shaun Clarke Licensed Driver

I have never gone over 40ms, no matter where I join. Our servers are even quicker, avg around 20-25.

But with a full grid....who knows:)
  13. Rob Hermans SRP Manager

Indeed, generally you can get a nice low ping the shorter the distance between you and the server, but the speed of your connection isn't necessarily the be-all-and-end-all. There must be no packet loss, minimal jitter...a lot depends on which chunks of the internet your signal has to navigate to the server and back.

Another thing to consider is the netcode which the software uses to communicate: some games seem to slow everyone's connection to the speed of the slowest client to stay in sync, for example(!). The "floaty" experience which Niranjan mentioned is likely due to the software using some kind of prediction algorithm so that you don't see cars disappearing and reappearing. I know rFactor uses exactly that to minimise the "warping" seen when there's a poor connection.

Shaun's AC servers are really fast though, and I've rarely noticed any lag. Only once or twice when people were streaming or downloading while driving, but that's lag at their end, not the server's. Clients who DO have a higher ping will have to wait slightly longer before they can react, something which everyone should remember when in a close battle. Minimise the risk of serious contact by avoiding sudden moves which rely on your opponent's reaction times!

EDIT: oh, and the connection from your PC to your access point makes a massive difference to your experience. I use one of those "ethernet over power" connections and I notice it's adding some milliseconds of delay compared to plugging directly into the 100Mb port on my router. Ok, it's only an extra 20ms or so, but for me that's doubling the delay to the server!
    Definitely DO NOT use a wireless connection for racing (duh!)
  14. Niranjan Kumar Licensed Driver

I believe its a net code thingy ... other sims don't have that problem ......let me try and explain more clearly , when your are goin side by side into a braking zone and then you have to predict where the other car will track out so you can cut back on the inside exiting the turn, the other car then takes a sort of an artificial line almost and ends up where you didn't expect it to ( no lag) .... but as I said I havet done too many races in AC , maybe a couple of practice races will clear doubts !!
  15. Shaun Clarke Licensed Driver

On the back of Rob's post, I know school boy stuff, but make sure your NIC drivers are up to date. I have suffered with this ( in the past) and it has made a difference. Also Wireless, the amount of devices connected to your entire estate, I mean, on a normal day, below is my list:

PC (Ethernet)
    Family PC (Wireless)
    My Phone
    Wifes Phones
    Kids Phones x 2
    XBox One (Wireless)
    Samsung Tablet (Wireless)
    Sky Box (Ethernet)
    Server 2012 (used by AC Staff to test APPS) (Connected via EOP Adaptor)
    :D
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  16. Rob Hermans SRP Manager

What happens next? We need to have something which will put the FUN back into simracing:

TURBO version:

:p
  17. Andreas Löffler SRP League Organiser

This cry to a special event :D.
  18. Shaun Clarke Licensed Driver

Oh you seen it, I was going to download that today. That just isn't fun, that's "infuncredible" :D
  19. Stacy Newcomb Licensed Driver

Are the physics based on a 1972 Ford Cortina ?? I'm sure I recognize that Jiggling motion on acceleration. :eek:
  20. Niranjan Kumar Licensed Driver

Vrooom Vrooooom !!! ..:))) ... Happens only in India !! :D

[IMG]