WRC 2 2011 Rally game? Anyone play? Is it any good? Anyone want rally/hillclimb events at SRP?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Guy Moulton, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Guy Moulton Licensed Driver

I have been waiting for a rally game since it became too much of a PITA to play RBR and it became not fun. rF2 claims to support rally one day... I say put up or shut up, ISI.

How is the WRC2 game? WRC1 was horrific, I hold hope that WRC2 didn't suck. Is anyone into this and interested in some sort of rally or hillclimb events at SRP?
  2. Rob Hermans SRP Manager

I admire rally drivers and envy their skills. I like the look and sound of the cars and the beautiful locations, but I just can't get interested in watching a bunch of guys drive fast against the clock. As a sim, it's only single player that would interest me slightly but even so, I have at least half a dozen rally games collecting dust.
    Now rally cross is a different story; that is more like fun, both to watch and participate in. Not having had much dirt experience, perhaps fun events rather than a league would be more up my street.
  3. Guy Moulton Licensed Driver

I tried WRC2 last night and the graphics are pretty good, the sound is OK and the driving is decent. It's kind of OK all around EXCEPT the controllers. they only support one controller at a time :mad: which is a deal breaker in a rally game. You NEED to be able to map a hand brake to a different controller or you'll be slow. There's no good place for a hand brake button on a T500 wheel, so I'm looking for a mod of some sort.
  4. Guy Moulton Licensed Driver

I found WRC2 on a torrent (I wanted to try it out) if WRC3 fixes the controller issues, I will have to buy it. WRC2 is addictive like RBR, but with more stages and a career mode that is more interesting. The physics are nowhere near as good as RBR, but the game is very good on gravel. I'm doing the Road To The WRC mode. Not having ahandbrake is tough though. I can map it to a button on my wheel but when I am turning for a hairpin I can't reach the button
  5. Guy Moulton Licensed Driver

So I'm d/ling RBR again. WRC2 is OK, but has issues. So it's back to the original and best rally sim of them all. I have been out for a number of years- there's a ton of new tracks which is great to see!
  6. April Dillon Licensed Driver

RBR's a beast! There really is no equal to it, it's crazy. And what's even crazier is that what is widely regarded as the best rally sim around should also have such horrible handling on tarmac! :p I reinstalled it recently, actually, eager to revisit it. I swiftly got my butt kicked by the first stage, as I'd forgotten how difficult it is too! Absolutely fantastic stuff! :)

I know both Race 07 and NetKar Pro have a hillclimb stage. It's not really much, though.

There's a lot of rallycross stuff in rFactor mods. Off-road buggies, trophy trucks, and dirt tracks to go with it complete with banked turns and jumps. But somebody won't touch rFactor! :p

Edit Ok I'm probably starting to sound like a broken record with the rFactor stuff. I promise, I'm trying to give it a rest! :)
  7. Guy Moulton Licensed Driver

I can't wait for rF2 gravel to be done- but that won't be for a year at least. I did the RBR School stage last night. I got my ass handed to me LOL. After a handful of attempts I did get an 80s time though :)

I have installed RSRBR12 and a bunch of new BTB tracks, today I'm going to get reacquainted.
  8. Andy Breedon SRP Manager

I never tried the wrc series thougj i heard they are not too bad, rbr however is an awesome old game i knew nothing about but now i have it on original for just a few quid. Not played it alot either but it is hard fun :)
  9. Eric Stranne Licensed Driver

There are a number of great hillclimbs and all kinds of Rally Cars for rFactor, which is one of the few reasons I love it.
  10. Guy Moulton Licensed Driver

Over at RSRBR we can make custom events and password them with the tracks & settings we choose, should we choose to make a SRP rally one of these days. All you do is choose a time frame and the stages and settings. I'm not sure with RSRBR, but with the Czech plugin you can choose a window of time (it can be short to up to a week) to do the rally, with RSRBR I think you can also hold a live rally where everyone shows at once.
  11. Guy Moulton Licensed Driver

OK, just for grins, I set up a rally through RSRBR12 http://forum.rallyesim.fr/index.php so you do have to install this mod. It's a PITA but do it once and you are all set with LOTS of new stages and LOTS and LOTS of new cars.

It's Rally GB (the WRC is doing Rally GB this weekend) with all the GB stages, the Rally School 1 and 2 (first and last stages- SSS) and the new Sweet Lamb BTB track. I made mostly dry, a couple damp stages and 1 or 2 wet stages, with clouds and fog (it's Rally GB for cryin out loud!)

simracingpro Rally GB
    S2000 N4- pretty fast, stable and fun cars. A good starter car.
    19.00 CEST (I think it's CEST (GMT +1) they are a little vague on time zones at RallyeSim, so fire up RSRBR12 and check- the rally is listed in the Public Sessions)
    Password- normal SRP password
    Damage- I know SRP uses real damage, but I chose Safe. RBR is rather difficult. Once everyone is up to speed on RBR we can choose more realistic damage, but let's all just finish this rally.
  12. April Dillon Licensed Driver

5 updates? Man, a lot of work to do it seems! I'll go ahead and get started on the downloads. :)
  13. Guy Moulton Licensed Driver

It is a lot of work, and it's a huge PITA. See this thread for more details and roadbook. The time is 19.00 CEST (GMT +1) so it is 1PM for me, 17.00 GMT (daylight savings time rears its ugly head!) but test the RSRBR12 mod and make sure you set up the time right or it won't run all the rallies. To be safe, you can set your system clock for CEST since that's where the rallyesim server is and your system clock will be in sync with theirs.

I figure out how to make damage carry over, so next time I'll set that up. You have to make a Championship session not a Public Session to do that (err... I think.. haven't actually done it yet).

I've been rallying for the past 2 days and some of these new tracks are better than the stock ones! I just did the Barum Rally and man, that is one DEADLY rally. It's 4 tarmac tracks that you have to run over at the Czech site (can't run offline and they aren't Rallyesim tracks). We ought to try running rallies there too- but if you run anything but regular included cars, the PITA level skyrockets because it's very difficult to add in cars manually and many of the tracks are screwed up by RSRBR12.

I should really have 2 installations.
  14. April Dillon Licensed Driver

I'm currently running a second install for RSRBR, just so it doesn't mess with my season progress! Got it all installed, have yet to see if it works, but holy balls! It's 20GB all together! I've gotta compress that :p
  15. Guy Moulton Licensed Driver

I never bothered to check until you mentioned it- 27GB + 5 GB in my RBR Downloads folder o_O
  16. April Dillon Licensed Driver

Yeah, it's crazy. The file compression in Windows 7 saves about 40% though, so that's a huge help. ^.^
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  17. Guy Moulton Licensed Driver

rallysimfans.hu -Great, now I've found a 3rd awesome site for RBR! This one looks like it's even better than the other two! I'm getting all the content and tomorrow I'll do a couple rallies and see how it is. We're spoiled for choice. It has a plugin which allows for the use of a bunch of new cars (not as many as RSRBR12) and a bunch of new stages. It also has what looks like one big download instead of many smaller ones.

EDIT- Oh yeah and this one too http://www.rbr-world.com/index.php which is Italian. Wow, there's a lot going on in the RBR world!